Monday, October 31, 2011

Tarn Gorges - Oil Palette Knife Painting


Tarn Gorges
Oil on Canvas panel
35x27 cm (14"x11")
This is my first all knife painting from a very old photograph I found in the back of the drawer.
Unfortunately I got so carried away with painting that I completely forgot to take progress photos but here is a brief descripition of my progress:

I first drew in the large masses using a watercolour pencil and then blocked in the lights using warm colours and the darks using cool colours. I used a light yellow for the lightest part to make sure that this area would look nice and sunny. I then gradually added colour wet into wet, in an extra 3 to 4 layers. The first to make the colour look 'real', the second to break up the masses into 3 or 4 areas depending on the light, the third to refine the colour in the masses and the fourth layer for the refinement. I used only pure colour, mainly mixing it on the painting as I went along. I also worked to keep the shadows not too dark but just dark enough.
I am not sure about the look of the sky, and for my next knife painting I may blend the sky a little more. I have also had a suggestion that is needs to be warmed up a bit and have more recession on the left side. What do you think?
To contact me about this painting click here

No comments:

Post a Comment